What are you doing/aiming to do for road safety?
To actively take initiatives to promote the proper and safe use of vehicles in general and tyres in particular for the enhanced security of road users and vehicles, through the following actions:
- Safety-orientated education campaigns
- Our member organisations will initiate, over the coming three years, awareness programmes for their employees, (360,000 people), with a special focus on drivers using their vehicles for professional purposes. Measures will address drink driving, speeding, use of helmets on two-wheeled vehicles, seatbelts, visibility when driving and specific tyre safety-related actions. The whole approach will be communicated from the second half of 2007.
- We will share the existing best practices from the major western national tyre safety campaigns with the stakeholders (police departments/consumer and tyre organisations) in eastern countries as a priority. This action will start in the autumn of 2007 and will run until 2009.
- Increase tyre safety enhancing features
- In 2007 and 2008, we will set up meetings with the EU national authorities and insurance companies, with the aim of informing them about the need to use winter tyres in winter conditions for vehicle and road user safety. We will assess the outcome early in 2009 with the possibility of undertaking further actions.
- We will carry out a communication campaign for all of the EU national authorities and insurance companies, demonstrating the need to respect the minimum tread depth regulations and insisting that authorities establish controls on the proper implementation of the existing laws. This action will start in 2008 and will run for three years. We will issue regular progress reports on the status of the local actions.
- We will arrange tyre safety actions aimed at highlighting the need to drive cars with tyres at the right pressure at all times:
i. We will set up information meetings with government officials with the aim of demonstrating the benefits of including tyre pressure checks as part of the annual vehicle check;
ii. We will arrange demonstrations with the stakeholders on the benefits for drivers of equipping all new vehicles with accurate tyre pressure monitoring systems.
- Anniversary of the European Road Safety Day 2008 – 2009 – 2010.
Each ETRMA member will present one activity from the good practices list on the anniversary of the European Road Safety Day over the coming three years.