What are you doing/aiming to do for road safety?
UITP commits to undertake the following specific actions with regard to road safety:
INCLUDE IN UITP WORKING PROGRAMME
To include safety as a key issue in the working programme (2005-2007) of appropriate UITP membership bodies.
OFFICIAL UITP POSITION ON ROAD SAFETY
UITP will put forward an official UITP position to be adopted by its Policy Board on road safety. An international working group will prepare this. This position will be widely disseminated via:
The UITP web site;
- Direct mailing to all 2500 UITP bodies worldwide;
- Personalised letters from the UITP President to all European Ministers of Health and Transport with a copy of this position;
- The UITP Sustainable Development Charter signatory network.
UITP will collect relevant information and disseminate good practices on the contribution of public transport to improving road safety through a dedicated publication and on the UITP website.
A brochure will be produced with:
- Specific information on road safety measures and training of drivers of vehicles. This information would be requested as part of the updates by full charter signatories; provided to UITP as part of their organisations’ commitment to the UITP Charter on Sustainable Development;
- To promote and report on innovation, infrastructure and incentives internationally.
- To disseminate the EU Road Safety Charter among UITP members and invite them to endorse it;
- Actively encourage its members to pursue and intensify individual initiatives and active contribution to road safety by promoting road safety management systems, conducting road safety campaigns and driver training programmes both within their own organisations and with other mobility stakeholders and decision-makers;
- To organise a session dedicated to road safety at the upcoming UITP Conference or international events from January 2006 to December 2006.
TO COOPERATE WITH INTERNATIONAL ORGANISATIONS FOR THE PROMOTION OF ROAD SAFETY Measures such as WHO (Pan European Partnership) and others.