What are you doing/aiming to do for road safety?
Electricity Authority of Cyprus (EAC) commit to the following goals and actions:
- To raise awareness of the hazards and consequences of drink-driving and the dangers associated with exceeding speed limits and to promote life saving behaviour of wearing car safety belts and motorcycle safety helmets.
EAC intends to hold specialised seminars on road safety for all its personnel and their families and by subsidizing seminars on driving behaviour to college students.
- To improve the safety of the organisation's vehicle fleet by ensuring regular preventive maintenance of all vehicles according to the manufacturers recommendations.
To include in all future orders of motor vehicles, safety standards to comply with the "highest safety standards" specifications in order to guarantee a high standard of safe driving.
- In collaboration with the Cyprus Police Force the EAC will promote safer driving behaviour by the dissemination of campaign messages through the media and the press and printed material through the correspondence to its clients.
EAC will also disseminate campaign messages on all its electricity bills.
- In collaboration with the Ministry of Communication & Works and the Cyprus Police Force, EAC will identify weak lighting areas in public roads and pedestrian crossings in order to improve visibility and reduce the danger of accidents.
- The EAC also intends to supply fluorescent vests to all its drivers and fluorescent straps and lights to 5 000 cyclists and pedestrians.
The above actions are expected to reach the whole population of Cyprus and we intend to continue them through the years 2009-2011.
Nicosia, 13th February 2009