What are you doing/aiming to do for road safety?
The City Council and the Mayor of the Municipality of Latsia are committed to improve road safety within its jurisdiction.
We have developed a Road Safety committee. Members of this committee are city councilmen along with the police superintendent of our region. In order to demonstrate our commitment, the following will be taken:
- The Road Safety committee will examine issues that affect road safety within our district and propose to the city council an action plan for the implementation of the following actions.
- As the committee is responsible for public awareness as far as road safety is concerned, it will organize seminars and publications in the municipality's newspaper.
- The city council will complete a program to upgrade street lighting in major roads of the municipality, and will negotiate with central government to upgrade all pedestrians' crossings and create new ones in our town.
- The municipality will fund a program that places traffic wardens outside the town's schools.
- The city council has commissioned a study from specialists for the reduction of traffic especially the through traffic and will implement actions to assist with the reduction.
- To avoid accidents due to inappropriate parking, we will have a program to create new parking places in the town. Two traffic wardens will also focus specifically on illegal parking within the municipality.
Nicosia, 13th February 2009