What are you doing/aiming to do for road safety?
Through the European Road Safety Charter programme, the Municipality of Strovolos wants to improve road safety by adopting the following measures during the next three years:
- Children as pedestrians, is a vulnerable and fragile group. We therefore will implement measures for a safer road environment around all schools in the municipal area, such as traffic calming measures, control of parked cars, additional crossing facilities, and employment of traffic wardens.
- The absence of pavements is a major safety problem in certain areas of the Municipality that were developed in the late sixties, early seventies. In order to overcome this problem, we will proceed to the construction of new pavements of total length of 15 km. In the old city centre, we plan to pedestrianise certain areas, construct a bicycle network and take speed reduction measures.
- In order to reduce road accidents we will define the city's black spots and we will promote solutions to improve road safety, giving priority to problematic intersections.
- In order to improve pedestrian safety and mobility and to minimize accidents due to road defects we will improve road surfaces, markings and signage.
- In order to minimize hazards and accidents during road construction works, we will enforce for our contractors stricter and more reliable and effective safety plans.
Nicosia, 13th February 2009